This delightful and detailed watercolor has a focus on a ferry boat crossing the Kentucky River. A typed tag with the original notes "Scene on Kentucky River" and "New Capiol Hotel was with the original. Sawyier lived in the High Bridge-Shakertown area between 1908 and 1913. In 1911, according to Dr. Willard Jillson interviews, Sawyier started the "Shaker Ferry Boat Company" with local resident and friend Bowman Terhune.
On a paper board backing are written the words "McRery". This indicates that this painting at one time was owned by Sawyier's cousin, Russell McRery. Mr. McRery was apparently quite close to Sawyier and had his body returned from New York in 1923, to be reburied in the Frankfort City Cemetery. The style of the tombstone is the same for Paul Sawyier and Russell McRery. Mr. McRery, a widower donated his home and property on west 3rd Street and Steele Streets so that a new King's Daughters Hospital could be built downtown.
This painting came through the J.M. Perkins family, that at one time, owned the Capitol Hotel. In 1935, Mr. Perkins and Dr. William Jillson, Sawyier's biographer, incoporated The Kennebee Distilling Company.
This original is in fine condition and is not mounted on a board. It has not been reproduced as a limited edition art print.
Image: 8 1/2" x 19 1/2"